Our monthly Board meeting will take place on Thursday June 17, 2021 *6:30pm-8:30pm. **Please note: the open session of this month’s meeting will begin at 6:55pm.**
At 7:30pm, following the Board meeting, there will be a discussion with Lauren Goldberg, Executive Director of Crossroads Community Food Network.
In our continuing effort to learn more about food insecurity in our region and what is being/can be done to address it, we will hear from Lauren about some of Crossroads’ significant and ground-breaking programs, including:
- Crossroads Farmers Market, serving the Takoma/Langley neighborhood with fresh produce, sold principally by vendors who have immigrated to our area from around the world. The Farmer’s Market 2021 operates Wednesdays from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. through Nov. 24. The Market is located on Anne St. at University Blvd. East in Takoma Park (one block west of New Hampshire Ave., next to Mega Mart).
- Crossroads’ Fresh Checks program, which doubles SNAP, WIC, and other federal nutrition benefits for fresh produce purchases at Crossroads Farmer‘s Market (and since 2007, has distributed more than $750,000 in Fresh Checks so that 23,000 families can purchase the healthy food they want). From May to September 2020, Crossroads and TPSS also partnered to offer Fresh Checks at the Co-op. Since September 2020, the Co-op has continued the program with Double Up, supported by your contributions to our Feed a Neighbor program.
- Crossroads’ Healthy Eating Program of cooking and gardening lessons, food tasting and farmer visits for children at local elementary schools and Farmers’ Market shoppers.
- Crossroads’ Microenterprise Training Program, offering free, bilingual business training and support to aspiring food entrepreneurs.
- Takoma Park Silver Spring Community Kitchen, offering a low-cost shared-use commercial kitchen space for small food business owners to do the food production required to make their businesses thrive.